Our inspection process is intended to provide our clients with the best possible service:
- Provide you with knowledge about mold growth and its effect on you and the indoor environment
- Pinpoint indoor mold growth and potential air quality issues
- Detect water intrusion which can enable indoor mold growth
- Identify and prioritize areas which should be tested
- Combine laboratory results with inspection findings into an easy to understand narrative written report
- Recommend clean-up and help you choose an appropriate resource for clean-up
- Follow up testing to assure healthy indoor air quality
Signs of Mold
Below are some common signs to watch out for that indicates you could have mold growing in your home.
Smelling a Musty or Mildewy Odor from Mold
If there is mold growing in your home or office which is hidden from view, sometimes the smell might be the only sign that you have a mold problem. If you smell musty, mildew or moldy odor in your home or office then you should take action to find the source. Often mold can be growing in dirty HVAC systems. If the sell is only present or becomes worse when the heating or air conditioning is on then this is probably a clue that there is mold growing in your HVAC system.
Seeing Mold Growth
Although it might seem obvious, many people either ignore or don’t notice visible mold growth in their home or office. However even small amounts of visible mold growth should make you take action immediately because it means that conditions in your home or office are suitable for mold to grow. If you do not take care of patches of mold growth, even if they are small, then the mold will become a greater problem. Seeing small amounts of mold could also mean that you have even more mold growing elsewhere in an area hidden from view.
There could be visible mold growth in your home or office that you haven’t yet realized is mold. Mold can appear as white which looks like threads, or as clusters of small black spots, often found on the walls of bathrooms or basements. Mold can appear black, grayish brown, gray green or white in color, and even orange, pink or purple if it has been growing behind wallpaper made of vinyl.
Can Mold Cause Health Problems?
Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever like symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold allergic and non-allergic people. Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling mold. Research on mold and health effects is ongoing. This brochure provides a brief overview; it does not describe all the potential health effects related to mold exposure. For more detailed information consult a health professional. You may also wish to consult your state or local health department.