Article by John Markus
Have you ever walked into the basement of your home and thought that it smelled musty? Damp, dark areas of your home or office are a breeding ground for molds. The presence of molds in your home or office could be causing you irritation or illness.
Some forms of molds are benign while other types can be extremely harmful to your health. The EPA, or environmental protection agency, has classified several molds commonly found in homes as toxic. Toxic molds are very dangerous. These molds can release spores that enter your respiratory system. The spores can attach to your lungs and move through a number of cell walls in your body. Some types of molds cause allergic reactions the produce symptoms like head aches, runny noses, itchy eyes and respiratory inflammation. Toxic molds can cause these symptoms as well, and prolonged exposure to toxic molds may lead to much more severe illnesses. Some infestations have been tied to cases of cancer, problems with the nervous system, blood in the lungs, kidney failure or other extremely dangerous illnesses. If you suspect that you are living or working in a building where molds are present you should take immediate steps to confirm their presence and identify the types of molds that are causing your symptoms. Constant studies are revealing more in depth information about the different types of molds, and the steps that can be taken to rid your home or office of these potentially deadly toxins.
Some of these studies have sited that molds are responsible for around 40 percent of the cases of adult asthma. Other studies have focused on the affect of molds in public schools on student and teacher performance. In schools that have been infested by molds, the student and teacher attendance was below average. Also more cases of respiratory infections and other diseases were reported. Lower attendance has been directly linked to lower student performance. If your child is suffering any of the symptoms of exposure to molds, you should contact your child’s school and request a test be performed in their classroom. The presence of molds can be especially dangerous to asthma sufferers. Scientists have recently proven their theory that people who suffer from asthma have a hyperactive immune system that reacts when it is exposed to allergens, like molds or other pollutants. Asthma sufferers are therefor at a very high risk of developing life threatening symptoms if they are exposed to molds.
In order to prevent molds from developing in your home or office you need to isolate potential problem areas and take steps to repair any damage that could let unwanted moisture into your home. Controlling your homes humidity level with an air purification system will greatly decrease the risk that molds will develop in your home. Bathrooms or other areas where water enters your home are also common places where molds grows. Check to make sure all your pipes are properly sealed and that the water from you appliances are draining away from your home.
Find More Moisture In Home Articles